Lionel Media

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lionel Media

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:37 pm

The Lionel argot and assorted miscellany[edit]
Theme song: For years Lionel adopted "Nina Morena" by the Gipsy Kings as his theme song. The song's opening line, which sounds like "Lionel" repeatedly,[8] caused him to "fall out of his chair" the first time he heard it.[citation needed] The closing theme song was for years "Soul Makossa" by Manu Dibango.[9]
Barstool Diplomacy: The type of diplomacy advocated by those who endorse the use of overwhelming military force, not excepting nuclear weapons, as the first move. A ham-handed and bellicose approach to any world event where critical analysis and strategy prove problematic.[citation needed]
The monkey's dead, the show's over ... Sue ya!: Lionel's end-of-show catch phrase, used since the early 1990s. "Sue ya" is a reference to his former profession. "The monkey's dead, the show's over" was originally spoken by a defeated political candidate in Tampa when asked for an election-night comment about his failed campaign (this phrase is an inversion of a quotation from the Tennessee Williams play Orpheus Descending.) Lionel saw the quote in the next day's newspaper and has used it since.[citation needed]
Comment as you see fit!: Lionel's signature valedictory following his television, YouTube,[10] and audio commentaries and analyses.
The myth of the left–right paradigm. Inspired by the works of Professor Carroll Quigley,[11] it speaks to the myth that real choice exists between and among political parties.[citation needed]
Lionel's Law is a rule he coined that says, "The law always lags behind technology."[12] Lionel is alarmed by society distracted by immediate novelty without future consideration of rapidly developing and unregulated technologies (iPhones, drones, robots, bio-signatures, artificial intelligence) with profound potential for Orwellian deep state cyber-surveillance abuse.
Attributed quotes frequently used by Lionel include:
"Give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep till noon."[13] ~ misattributed to Mark Twain,[14] originally from James Howell[15] as "He that hath once got the fame of an early riser, may sleep till noon."[16]
"History would be a wonderful thing, if only it were true."[17][18][19] ~ Leo Tolstoy[20] (unsourced attribution as of 2016-08-18)
"If voting made a difference it would be illegal." ~ unknown (often misattributed to Emma Goldman,[21] Mark Twain,[22] and Philip Berrigan[23])
"I'm not a conspiracy theorist - I'm a conspiracy analyst."[24] ~ Gore Vidal[25]
"There will come a day where it is an article of faith to be an American to say that there are no conspiracy theories."[24] ~ Gore Vidal (originally, "Post-9/11, the American media were filled with pre-emptory denunciations of unpatriotic 'conspiracy theorists', who not only are always with us but are usually easy for the media to discredit since it is an article of faith that there are no conspiracies in American life."[26])
"Conspiracy theory has become a code word for the unspeakable truth."[24] ~ Gore Vidal (originally,"Apparently, 'conspiracy stuff' is now shorthand for unspeakable truth."[26])
"Never believe anything until it's officially denied." ~ Claud Cockburn[27] via John Pilger[28]
"When the facts change, I change my opinion." ~ John Maynard Keynes (originally, "When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"[29])
"When you remove all that is impossible, the remains, even though they're improbable, tends to be the truth."[30] ~ Arthur Conan Doyle's[31] Sherlock Holmes[32] featured several variations
"You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts." ~ Daniel Patrick Moynihan[33]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_(radio_personality)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1445
Registration date : 2008-08-31

http://swamp-ass.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top