On The Ron Paul Newsletters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

On The Ron Paul Newsletters

Post by Admin on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:45 pm

"There were about 10 objectionable statements over the years and they are repeated over and over but Ron Paul also never wrote them, there was an independent editor. The NAACP district chief for his district said Ron Paul is not racist, and no one has a single instance of him, personally, ever saying a racist thing. In fact, while those letters were written he was practicing medicine, caring for some of the poorest women in Brazoria county. Since he wouldn't accept medicare or medicaid, he gave discount and free services, because he also refused to turn anyone away for inability to pay. These women were of all races."

"...30year old newsletters, taken out of context, that even the original author of the hit piece acknowledges Ron Paul didnt write is *REALLY* all you've got.

The funniest part is its not just the neocons who seem to think endless war is required, but also the hardcore progressives who realize Ron Paul will take the youth/antiwar/minority vote being the only one who actually is pursuing the change thats important - to a free people!"

Paul denied his involvement with the newsletters back in 2008, saying the controversial comments "are not mine and do not represent what I believe or have ever believed."

"When I was out of Congress and practicing medicine full-time, a newsletter was published under my name that I did not edit. Several writers contributed to the product," he said. "For over a decade, I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name."

In 2008, the Libertarian magazine Reason (citing libertarian activists, some close to Paul) reported that Paul's chief ghostwriter for the newsletters was one Llewellyn Rockwell, Jr., who was Paul's congressional chief of staff from 1978 to 1982 and a longtime Paul confident and adviser. (Rockwell denies this.)

Source/More Here

In interviews with reason, a half-dozen longtime libertarian activists—including some still close to Paul—all named the same man as Paul's chief ghostwriter: Ludwig von Mises Institute founder Llewellyn Rockwell, Jr.

Financial records from 1985 and 2001 show that Rockwell, Paul's congressional chief of staff from 1978 to 1982, was a vice president of Ron Paul & Associates, the corporation that published the Ron Paul Political Report and the Ron Paul Survival Report. The company was dissolved in 2001. During the period when the most incendiary items appeared—roughly 1989 to 1994—Rockwell and the prominent libertarian theorist Murray Rothbard championed an open strategy of exploiting racial and class resentment to build a coalition with populist "paleoconservatives," producing a flurry of articles and manifestos whose racially charged talking points and vocabulary mirrored the controversial Paul newsletters recently unearthed by The New Republic. To this day Rockwell remains a friend and advisor to Paul—accompanying him to major media appearances; promoting his candidacy on the LewRockwell.com blog; publishing his books; and peddling an array of the avuncular Texas congressman's recent writings and audio recordings.

Rockwell has denied responsibility for the newsletters' contents to The New Republic's Jamie Kirchick. Rockwell twice declined to discuss the matter with reason, maintaining this week that he had "nothing to say." He has characterized discussion of the newsletters as "hysterical smears aimed at political enemies" of The New Republic. Paul himself called the controversy "old news" and "ancient history" when we reached him last week, and he has not responded to further request for comment.

But a source close to the Paul presidential campaign told reason that Rockwell authored much of the content of the Political Report and Survival Report. "If Rockwell had any honor he'd come out and I say, ‘I wrote this stuff,'" said the source, who asked not to be named because Paul remains friendly with Rockwell and is reluctant to assign responsibility for the letters. "He should have done it 10 years ago."

Rockwell was publicly named as Paul's ghostwriter as far back as a 1988 issue of the now-defunct movement monthly American Libertarian. "This was based on my understanding at the time that Lew would write things that appeared in Ron's various newsletters," former AL editor Mike Holmes told reason. "Neither Ron nor Lew ever told me that, but other people close to them such as Murray Rothbard suggested that Lew was involved, and it was a common belief in libertarian circles."

Individualist-feminist Wendy McElroy, who on her blog characterized the author as an associate of hers for many years, called the ghostwriter's identity "an open secret within the circles in which I run." Though she declined to name names either on her blog or when contacted by reason, she later approvingly cited a post naming Rockwell at the anonymous blog RightWatch.

Timothy Wirkman Virkkala, formerly the managing editor of the libertarian magazine Liberty, told reason that the names behind the Political Report were widely known in his magazine's offices as well, because Liberty's late editor-in-chief, Bill Bradford, had discussed the newsletters with the principals, and then with his staff. "I understood that Burton S. Blumert was the moneybags that got all this started, that he was the publisher," Virkkala said. "Lew Rockwell, editor and chief writer; Jeff Tucker, assistant, probably a writer; Murray Rothbard, cheering from the sidelines, probably ghosting now and then." (Virkkala has offered his own reaction to the controversy at his Web site.) Blumert, Paul's 1988 campaign chairman and a private supporter this year, did not respond to a request for an interview; Rothbard died in 1995. We reached Tucker, now editorial vice president of Rockwell's Mises.org, at his office, and were told: "I just really am not going to make a statement, I'm sorry. I'll take all responsibility for being the editor of Mises.org, OK?"
>Reason Article On Racist Ron Paul Newsletter Reveals that Lew Rockwell Wrote Them!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-08-31

http://swamp-ass.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: On The Ron Paul Newsletters

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:57 pm

For anyone wishing to combat the issue of the racist Ron Paul Newsletters....

Feel free to cut and paste this;

First, Ron Paul has announced publicly through the years he did not write those newsletters and that he had no knowledge of them.

Second, Ron Paul's views as expressed over DECADES tell you exactly what he's all about and knowing this, makes bringing up this issue an obvious attempt to distract from just that, Ron Paul's REAL positions. BTW, the head of the Texas NAACP fully endorses Ron Paul. Produce anything bad attributed to Ron Paul OUTSIDE those newsletters and then let's talk.

Finally, stick to the issues. Ron Paul's for decreasing the size and scope of the Federal government significantly. He's for chopping 1Trillion from the budget immediately. Dr. Pauls (who's delivered hundreds of babies) has ALWAYS been ANTI-Abortion. Dr. Paul is for increasing freedom and getting rid of the Patriot Act. Dr. Paul has ALWAYS been against TARP and BAILOUTS. Ron Paul has always been against unConstitutional wars done w/out consent of Congress and the American People. Dr. Paul, a DOCTOR has always opposed OBAMACARE. Dr. Paul is for eliminating the IRS and lowering taxes significantly.

Can ANY other candidates say those things???

Ron Paul's record speaks for itself, but that's the last thing you want to talk about.

#ronpaul #ronpaul2012 #liberty #libertarian #conservative #republican #ows
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 pm

“The quotations in The New Republic article are not mine and do not represent what I believe or have ever believed. I have never uttered such words and denounce such small-minded thoughts.

In fact, I have always agreed with Martin Luther King, Jr. that we should only be concerned with the content of a person's character, not the color of their skin. As I stated on the floor of the USSA House on April 20, 1999: ‘I rise in great respect for the courage and high ideals of Rosa Parks who stood steadfastly for the rights of individuals against unjust laws and oppressive governmental policies.’

This story is old news and has been rehashed for over a decade. It's once again being resurrected for obvious political reasons on the day of the New Hampshire primary.

When I was out of Congress and practicing medicine full-time, a newsletter was published under my name that I did not edit. Several writers contributed to the product. For over a decade, I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name.”
Ron Paul

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/january2008/010808_yellow_journalism.htm

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=111957&cpage=1#comment-695363
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content