Can We Blame Marx? Yes We Can!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can We Blame Marx? Yes We Can!

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 pm

I have just finished reading a gleeful call for a revisitation to Marxist thought, In Praise of Marx, by a British gentleman named Terry Eagleton who is a literary theorist with a PhD from Trinity College. I want to take a moment to respond to his article because he has articulated very succinctly a view I feel merits discussion.

Eagleton’s position, shortly, is this: Marx has been unfairly held responsible for the various terrors inflicted by various nominally communist regimes in a manner that would be akin to holding Jesus responsible for the Inquisition. Marx, after all, envisioned a stateless future emerging out of an advanced industrialized society; Russia and China were hardly fully industrialized at the time of their revolutions and ended up with not statelessness but dictatorship, and so can hardly be characterized as Marxist.

Eagleton then points out that nominally capitalist nations have their own share of blood on their hands, a fact that seems to be conveniently overlooked by critics of Marx. Capitalism ignores its own victims. Marx, meanwhile, is a “profoundly moral thinker” who, while celebrating capitalism’s defeat of feudal privilege, asks “embarrassing questions” about capitalism’s inequities. The rest of the article is mostly a discussion of several misconceptions about Marxism (not all of them are misconceptions, I think, but that’s neither here nor there).

So, if the future Marx envisioned was nothing like the horrors perpetrated under Stalin and Mao, can we blame Marxism for the tragedies of historical state communism?

Yes. Yes we can.

Source/The Rest Here...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2008-08-31

http://swamp-ass.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Can We Blame Marx? Yes We Can!

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:45 pm

I can break down the problem of Marxism into simply just a few words, why is your desire to force me into the slavery of your whims more important than my desire to be free from it?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2008-08-31

http://swamp-ass.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top